Marriage is one of the most important events in an individual’s life. It is coming together of two individuals, two souls and two families. And in the Indian context, the importance and sanctity of the wedding institution can be gauged from the endless number of rituals which people love to perform to commemorate the D-Day.
Family & long lost friends get together to celebrate the great Indian wedding with much gusto. But once the high of family and friends getting together for your wedding subsides a bit, reality hits hard. Post the wedding season you feel bloated and sleep-deprived, your head feels a few kilos heavier and your pants a few inches tighter, right?
So in order to get back on track, detoxifying your system is the way to go. Dr. Puneet Nayak at Prettislim, tells you how to detoxify, after binging during the wedding season.Here’s what your detoxification plan should include:
- Keep yourself hydrated: Without sufficient water in your body, your cells get congested, your skin can’t detox, and your bladder and kidneys won’t work properly. You’ll feel tired and end up eating more, too. Drinking water at regular intervals can help flush fluids and food through your system faster. If you are feeling bloated due to consuming too much sodium, the water will flush out the salt through your body faster.
- Curb your sodium intake: Too much sodium retains water in the body, and most foods eaten during wedding season are high in sodium thus causing unnecessary bloating. You can substitute salt with spices like black pepper, chillies, and herbs like basil, celery, parsley, and oregano plus condiments like vinegar, and mustard.
- Keep starchy carbohydrates away from your diet: Starchy carbohydrates like refined flour are high in sugar and should be avoided. You can replace it with complex carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables and whole grains to avoid sluggishness post the wedding season.
- Opt for Natural diuretics: Diuretics help the body get rid of excess fluid, mainly water and sodium. They help stimulate the kidneys to flush out more sodium. You should consume natural diuretics like parsley and asparagus to relieve water retention.
- Include Dahi in your diet: Yogurt or Dahi is probiotic in nature and helps enhance the digestive system. It also help improves absorption in the gut, which then reduces bloating.
- Herbal teas for Detox: Drinking herbal teas (like dandelion, ginger, lemon grass, fennel, mint, or chamomile) the morning after a crazy night calms, soothes, and relaxes your stomach. Herbal Tea also works well on headaches & indigestion, especially if sweetened with honey.
- Brisk walk or Cardio at your Gym: A big dinner or cocktail party during marriage season may leave you feeling lethargic & might make you feel skipping your exercise routine. But cardio exercises are the best way to reset your body, after a night of splurging. Preferably start your day with a brisk 45-minute brisk walk or in the Cardio Section of your Gym. You’ll sweat off the uncomfortable bloat and release mood-boosting endorphins, so you’ll be in the right frame of mind to make healthy food choices the rest of the day, which are needed for your body to detox.
The above mentioned tips will help your body feel lighter and overcome the feelings of lethargy and sluggishness.